Wednesday, November 12

Coming of Age

"We thought this would be a suitable gift for your coming of age" A bicycle.

It was like waking up from a dream. He reeled me in, like a dog running into a glass screen. Was it wrong of me to believe he was going to give me a car? Regardless, the bicycle was what I wanted. I could imagine it now...

Firing start - BANG! And it's off


And the crowd roars - GO PINK RIDER

And who's that .....

VROOM VROOM!!!


Ok, my initial thoughts on this........ Why do I look like SUCH A DORK? Those other cyclists look so spiffy with their bikes?

Firstly, I can almost see a pink streak at the speed for one of them is going, and all i get is wind pushing be backwards. Yes, you heard me, i was being pushed back.

Secondly, my helmet is 5 sizes too small, thus it just sits on top of my head. Oh gosh, talk about a bowl haircut....

Thirdly, my backpack was a huge weight on my shoulders. It was so much heavy as it were embarrassingly HUGE. As a man who is officially 18, why am i mistaken as a dorky international school boy?

*Sigh* My Tour de France dream is now over. But there are upsides to this story. Being the man that I have become in the past 18 years of my life, I built the bike..... (Note: 95% assembled by factory)


If it weren't for my trusty workmanship, the bike would still be in it's box.....Ok, there were some mishaps... I did recieve counsel from the instructions booklet. And i forgot to tighten the steering before I rode to work today...

It was 9am, and I was riding, happily to work. "Weeeeee!" *ring ring* "Entering Turbo Mode: Vroom vroom!"
There were no witnesses to testify i did any of the above.......


It was exhilarating. Going at 5 km/h, i was living on the life on the edge. As my ride tore up the streets, i found elbow was nudging my rib. At first, i thought it was because i had entered a slipstream and I was naturally reducing air resistance, as do all professional cyclists do.

On further observation, I found my steering was aligned slightly to the left. I pushed it back into place. "The bike mustn't have been capable of handling such speeds I endure everyday. But it's ok, I’ll slow down"

It got worse, and when i had reached halfway, i was forced to walk my bike to work. As i walked, many cyclists whizzed past me (Looking way cooler than i did). Some turned their heads at my direction: *smiles and waves* "Flat tire....that was close...."


It's not like I can tell them: "Funny thing, i got this bike the other day, and i didn't screw in the steering tight enough.......by the way, it's my first time"

I guess today was a clear reflection of how manly I am. Building a bike, using the instructions on a last resort basis (or after 10 mins.....ok, 2 mins), going at high speeds in a school zone, refusing to ask for help, nor acknowledging my own failure at any of these. All i can say to this..

*grunts*

No comments: